Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

i hate trackpads

Apple has released its Magic Trackpad  and some people think it is the beginning of the end for the mouse. What can I tell you ? 
I can understand the excitement about touch screens. They are the real thing. The end of the confusing and cumbersome pointing devices. But Touchpads ? I rarely use them on laptops. they are inconvenient, inaccurate, and although they are certainly much better than no pointing device at all, I'll take a mouse over a trackpad any day of the week. 
I must confess I haven't tried the new trackpad, and size and area of pointing will differently improve the experience compared with tiny trackpads, but there is a slight problem - it will take time for the eye-hand coordination to assimilate for the new proportions. This is a device that takes time to learn. And this is the basic difference when comparing trackpads with Touch Screens. Touch-Screens are intuitive. People I've seen running away from computers are able to use devices with touch-screens. I've seen 60+ ladies flipping through images on smartphones without hesitation, and doing so without the repeated "I'm stuck" or "How do  you ?" or the occasional "Help!" you get on the less-intuitive devices of the past. 
With All due respect to the new trackpad, I'll patiently wait for those huge Touch screens of the future... 

No comments:

Post a Comment