Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

the wonderful world of guano

Sometimes you bump into something on the Internet, and find yourself humming "mmm.... what do you know....I'd never thought this issue could be so broad".

The cause for this evening's humming, was my encounter of the Wikipedia article about Guano.  Personally, I did not know much about this stuff, and was exposed to its existence only in Jim Carrey's Comedy Movie Ace Ventura: when nature calls.

But this Eve's venture into Wikipedia-editing (something I occasionally sin at) was quite rewarding, at least as far as Esoteric Knowledge goes. I also learned about the USA Guano Island Act, an act legislated in response to the mid 19th century Guano Crisis, and about many Guano island claims made under that act.

It is discoveries of this nature that make the Internet so wonderful. One goes out on a random search for knowledge (with the possibility of improving that source of knowledge), and finds oneself enriched in bits of information one will probably never have any use to, but which are still making life more interesting.

I guess it is time to go to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment